What is Music Therapy?
“Music Therapy is the clinical and evidence-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program.”
- The American Music Therapy Association, 2020
What are the benefits of Music Therapy?
Music therapy interventions are designed to improve quality of life by focusing on various areas of functioning, such as cognitive abilities, physical movement and social interaction. Music therapy helps boost overall health and well-being by targeting specific goals and objectives within these domains. Benefits and outcomes can include:
- Enhancing memory and recall
- Reducing stress and anxiety
- Increasing physical movement and circulation
- Decreasing agitation and combativeness
- Alleviating and/or distracting from pain
- Increasing self-expression
- Improving verbal communication
- Promoting rest and relaxation
- Increasing social interaction
- Stimulating the brain
- Helping staff, caregivers and family members connect with their residents or loved one